Saturday, 5 March 2011
Changed My Legs
On the chair that I started a couple of weeks ago , I had planned to mark out and cut the legs this weekend from some square oak .I laid them out but they just didn't seem to work with the back and seat .
But a couple of bits of Elm that have gathered dust in the corner of the shed seemed more like what would work. So I set about shaping them ,I split them roughly down the centre with an old cleaver and mallet, Elm is hard stuff its very tough to split green or seasoned, after plenty thumps they were done. Then I took the high points off with my axe and roughly shaped them with a drawknife and spokeshave. These work for me now. I also chopped out the start of a spoon using a piece of Silver Birch, chair and spoon will be posted soon :)