I worked for a spell on my cherry chair today ,I glued up the seat to the legs , then two parts of the backrest.When I put it all together I found that the poles that attach the backrest to the seat needed something to firm them up.
So I decided to carve a little wedged bracket, this was carved out of a little offcut, from one of the ash poles.
This little guy will hold the backrest poles firmly and lock them in place. The bracket is shown in place between the poles in last two photo's:)
Friday, 25 January 2013
Friday, 18 January 2013
I put together the dry (no glue) cherry chair to see how it all would look. I decided to make the seat and back double thickness as this let's me fix things without having to bore through the front of backrest and the seat, that I spent ages shaving and sanding into a comfortable shape . I think its working out but things can always change ! :)
Thursday, 10 January 2013
Sunday, 6 January 2013
I set out scooping out the seat, this started with hogging out a rough hollow following the shape of the template with a big cranked gouge then a spoon plane and spokeshaves finished it off . Because of the seat the backrest had to have the same treatment, with the same tools I worked on the back , the ash poles were shaped up with a drawknife then spokeshave here's where I'm at:)