Diary of a Scottish woodcrafter. Lover of nature and wild places!!
Sunday, 6 January 2013
I started this chair in my Christmas holidays, the seat and backrest are cherry with ash for the legs and backrest supports. I decided to scoop out the seat part like they do with a windsor chair kind of. I made some templates first to see that the shapes worked, when I was happy with the templates .
I set out scooping out the seat, this started with hogging out a rough hollow following the shape of the template with a big cranked gouge then a spoon plane and spokeshaves finished it off . Because of the seat the backrest had to have the same treatment, with the same tools I worked on the back , the ash poles were shaped up with a drawknife then spokeshave here's where I'm at:)